Monday, September 14, 2009

Get Your Shop On

I lived in France off and on between 2003 and 2005. I love Tom Rall's comment (Tom is the founder of the Flea Market at Eastern Market ): "Sonda, you are always back in time for Christmas at the Market" Damn right--I was always running out of money! But there was nothing like being in Paris on my days off (I was a volunteer, working and living with mentally handicapped adults and later receiving a scholarship to a language school in the South of France) and taking to the streets of St. Germaine de Pres with my Range of Emotion skirts and bags. I looked good. I ain't gonna lie: those French women gave me the cold-eyed once over, and I would lift a brow and stare right back. They could not get what I was wearing anywhere in town. And they knew it. (Jenae Michelle, Range of Emotion) Jenea Michelle (Range of Emotion) has been at the market on Saturdays for sixteen years. She has a "avoir le don" (a gift) for crafting well-made purses and clothes. She creates two lines a year, one for spring and summer, another for fall and winter. She is a collage artist with fabric. Her bags mingle old sweaters, coats, tablecloths, et cetera, with hand made fabrics that she both creates and selects. You wanna talk about looking good? In 2005, I went to the Cannes films Festival, and whose skirt did I have on when I mounted le tapis bleu? you guessed it, Jenae's! Linen, silk and, I don't know, I forgot the film but remember the clothes. Priorities! (Dyanne Marte)
About 3 years ago, a new textile diva came to the market, designer/maker Dyanne Marte (Dennya). Poor dear, during or after her stint at Pratt where she received her master's degree in design management, she was a model (runway? magazine? I am not sure) She is tall, thin, gorgeous skin, cheek bones and shoulders for days...ah, we all have our problems. But, lucky me, her rags look divine on the short, round and vitriolic :) ! And her use of color, mustard, fuchsia, and orange, for me is a love fest. I have been know to hook up Jenae's skirt with a Dyanne's top, then add a clutch bag by another newcomer to the Market, Jemma Morris. (Jemma Morris) Jemma's clutches and pouches are characterized by her love of ribbons and weaving. Jemma, like Dyanne, studied fashion in New York. She studied at the Fashion Institute of Technology. I finish off my clothing montage with a hand- crotched cap by Sola Ope (Scarvelous). Sola has been at Eastern Market for 5 years. Je suis le top, quoi. That means, I look really fly when I have this look together ,and quite colorful. True story, I was in WholeFoods in Baltimore shopping for healthy junk food. This women with a baby comes up to me and asked me "Did you get that hat from that women at the Market?" I said yes, she then proceeded to follow me around the store asking if Sola had another one just like the one I was wearing. I said, "no", I had placed a custom order for my hat. I mean really, one can not have everybody wearing there style. (Sola Ope, Scarvelous) And this is just a taste of the endless ways to "get your shop on" at Eastern Market. I ain't done, and my birthday just past. I find it is really a challenge to look entertaining in the winter while standing outside, but I achieve it. There are these wonderful imported wool sweaters from Ecuador... Fashionable and witnessing Sonda T. Allen